Galaxy Play Dough {Recipe}

One of the perks of my current job is that I get to plan and deliver an art lesson every week! This half term the topic is 'space' and we're making alien puppets using the tried and tested method of newspaper covered in layer upon layer of masking tape!

Last week I wanted a quick activity to go along with puppet making, and had seen galaxy play dough on pinterest while searching for space themed art activities so decided to give it a go! It turned out great, not quite a bright as some of the ones I'd seen, but considering it had three whole tubes of food colouring in, I think it'll do!


I made three separate different coloured batches, pink, purple and black, and added a different colour glitter to each (the black one got two different colours!) then kneaded them together a little. Mixing play dough colours together on purpose felt utterly wrong - but it did come out looking quite space like! 


As this was only needed for one lesson, I wasn't too strict with the measurements and just used cups and tablespoons - but it's still going strong a week later so it should last a while if you keep it air tight! I made the recipe below three times, but obviously you can make as much or as little as you like! 

Mix the following ingredients together in a bowl:
  • 1 cup of plain flour
  • 1/4 cup of salt
  • 3 sachets of cream of tartar
Mix together the following ingredients in a jug:

  • 1.5 tablespoons of oil (any oil is fine - add some scented oil too if you like!)
  • Food colouring (I used a whole tube of gel food colour I bought in Tesco, but add as much as you think you'd like depending on how bright you'd like your play dough)
  • Half a cup of boiling water
Also measure out another half cup of boiling water and have it on hand for the next bit. Tip the water/oil/food colouring mixture into the flour mixture and start to stir it together. You'll need to add some of the other half cup of boiling water too, but depending on how accurate your flour measurements were, and on the type of flour, you'll need more or less (I know that's not very specific, but like I said, I sort of guess this recipe!) Keep stirring and adding water till it all comes together, but isn't sticky. Don't worry if you add too much, you can always add more flour to even things out. Tip it out and give it a really good knead until its nice and smooth, adding more flour if needed. You can also add more food colouring if it's not bright enough, but rub some oil into your hands first, or wear gloves, as it will get a bit messy (although once kneaded in it won't dye your skin!)

You can add all sorts to this, I kneaded in copious amounts of glitter, but you can also add scented oil, spices (I made curry dough for a recent India project) sequins, oats, rice, plastic insects, anything to add some sparkle or texture! 

The children really enjoyed it, and the cat approved too! 

1 comment