Recipe - 'Better Than A Bounty' Chocolate and Coconut Porridge


If you follow me on instagram, you will have noticed me enjoying this treat of a breakfast from a huge enamel mug yesterday! Lots of you were intrigued by the recipe, so as promised I'm sharing it today!





Just a small disclaimer before we start - our kitchen is the most un-pinterest room there has ever been. Observe....





Shower cubicle mosaic tiles, odd pressed flower effect, shiny vinyl wallpaper - it's fabulous isn't it?

We've lived her for three months but so far we've only managed the downstairs loo (and even that isn't finished!) The entire house is red (including the CARPET in the bathroom - ick!) but rather than being infuriated by it, we actually just find it quite hilarious and are happy to plod along slowly making changes as and when we can. 

So, disclaimer over, back to the porridge! 

This is something I tend to make if I'm having a slower morning - it's pretty rich and cant always handle chocolate at 7am, so for me this is definitely a weekend breakfast.


You will need

1/2 cup oats (I use organic jumbo oats - use whichever ones you like)

1 heaped tablespoon of raw cacao powder (you can use cocoa powder, but I prefer cacao as it has lots more benefits - it's high in magnesium and iron, and also a source of fibre and protein - all good!)

1 heaped tablespoon of raw organic coconut oil (This can be expensive, so look out for it when Holland and Barratt have their penny sale, alternatively Aldi sell 300ml for £2.99 - I was sceptical too  - but it's raw, virgin and organic and tastes perfect! It's so worth spending your pennies on, but the benefits are plastered all over the internet so I won't go into it here!)

1 heaped tablespoon of desiccated coconut (make sure the one you buy is unsweetened)

Sweetener to taste - about a teaspoon. I tend to rotate my natural sweeteners, and I'm currently using some local honey as I've found it really really helps lower my heyfever symptoms (it's like magic) Some others I like are rice malt syrup, coconut sugar, maple syrup, xylitol, or soaked and blended dates. 

1 cup of milk, plus a tiny splash more. Coconut milk is obviously the best for this, and it's what I would generally use, but I didn't have any - so oat milk it was! You can use whichever type of milk you prefer though, almond, hemp, cows (I don't eat a huge amount of dairy, but when I do, I make this with organic whole milk) but coconut milk gives the best 'bounty' like experience!

I also like to add the tiniest pinch of salt.





 

Method

Tip all of your ingredients into a small saucepan (too big and it will cook too fast and the oats won't be creamy) and heat gently.

Use a spatula (or a very colour co-ordinated whisk) to mix everything together until the resultant steam ruins your photos...



Keep heating until it is the texture you like. I like to heat mine slowly so it stays quite loose, but by all means make it thicker if that's what you fancy. You can always add a splash more milk if you take it too far! 

I love this with a spoon of coconut yoghurt (Co-Yo is the best by far!) and a teeny tiny sprinkling of coconut sugar.

Place next to a succulent in an attempt to make it look like it belongs on instagram, and tuck in! 




The rather odd looking concoction I enjoyed with this is lemon, apple cider vinegar and cinnamon in warm water - I started making this a few weeks ago and now I can't start my morning without it! 

Enjoy! 

7 comments

  1. I love your kitchen! And that porridge looks simply delightful :)

    -Lor
    acozyspace.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's very practical - and we like the kitchen itself - just not so much the tiles or wallpaper! Let me know if you try the porridge! x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad you like the sound of it! Let me know if you do give it a try! x

      Delete
  3. This is delicious! Really, better than a Bounty! Do need a mid morning nap now though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this with coconut water this morning - even more coconutty goodness, and some how less nap inducing! The best recipe ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I haven't tried it with coconut water, only coconut milk - much lighter I imagine! Will have to try it. I'm really glad you like the recipe! xxx

      Delete