Teapigs Matcha Green Tea Challenge


I've long been a lover of green tea, and had a brief foray into matcha a couple of years ago. I love the taste of it, but it's quite pricey and I found it a bit of a faff to make because the powder doesn't dissolve in hot water but stays suspended, so if you just stir it into hot water the last few mouthfuls can be a bit lumpy or powdery. However, I really like the sound of the benefits of drinking matcha daily, so when I noticed there was an offer on Tea Pigs Matcha (and a competition to win a years supply!) I decided to give it another go! There are also lots of recipes around now that make it more interesting (and less of a palaver) to drink, so it should be good fun!

I'm only on day two, but so far Im really enjoying it! I bought a box of 14 individual servings, which makes things much easier in the bleary-eyed-stumbling-about stage of the day! Yesterday I made a matcha latte, with almond milk, a little cinnamon and some raw honey. It was amazing, and it felt like a real treat at 7am (when it was still pretty dark, as you can see...)


Today I tried just making a paste with a little hot water, then topping the mug up and drinking it like a normal green tea. It tasted good, but I still found having to whizz it up between each mouthful a bit annoying. So, I went looking for more recipes for the next 12 servings, and found quite a few I'd like to try:

Latte, Smoothie, Shot and Martini from Tea Pigs

Mocha Maca Matcha from My Life Cookbook

Matcha Chia Pudding from Fearless Dining

Coconut Matcha Energy Bars from The Grateful Grazer 

Kale, Peach and Matcha Smoothie and Matcha Mint Iced Tea (plus lots more tasty looking matcha ideas) from Love and Lemons

and just for fun (or perhaps a halloween costume) how about a matcha face mask!

So far, I feel great! I'll be posting pictures of the challenge everyday on instagram if you want to keep up with my progress!

No comments